2017 Alberta Soils Tour organized by the Alberta Soil Science Workshop is scheduled on May 29-31, 2017. This 3-day event will bring registered participants to the Athabasca Oil Sands Region.
The Alberta Soil Science Workshop is glad to announce the 2017 Alberta Soil Tour scheduled for May 29 to May 31, 2017. This 3-day event will bring registered participants to the Athabasca Oil Sands Region. The Tour will start in Edmonton and will go to Ft. McMurray and back. The Tour is a good opportunity for those working with soils, whether the focus is soil conservation, land reclamation, or agronomy. Experts will provide background on soil formation and the various soil profiles for each of the landscapes encountered during the Tour. Various soil conservation, land reclamation, and agronomy challenges will be addressed with site visits, along with special emphasis on the history of forest fire in the area.
Key speakers for the 2017 Alberta Soil Tour are
- Len Leskiw – P.Ag., Senior Soils Scientist with Paragon Soil and Environmental Consulting
- Larry Turchenek – P.Ag.(retired), formerly Senior Soil Scientist with AMEC Foster Wheeler
Stops along the Tour include wide variety of soil sites:
- Natural soil catenas on various deposits in boreal landscapes
- Sites recovering from Ft. McMurray, Bitumount Complex, House River, and Mariana Lake fires
- Reclaimed sites at Syncrude and Suncor oil sands mines
- Agricultural facilities at Ft. McMurray, Wandering River, and Athabasca, AB
- Pipeline reclamation case with demonstration of decompaction techniques
- Visit to the Oil Sands Discovery Center at Ft. McMurray
Registration is now open online at https://2017absoilstour.eventbrite.ca
More information is available at http://www.soilsworkshop.ab.ca/tour.html