Q : Why should I be registered with the AIA?

A: Click here for the benefits of registration with the AIA.

Q: How do I know if I should be registered with the AIA and what is mandatory registration?

A: The Alberta Institute of Agrologists (AIA) is responsible for ensuring the public interest is protected as it relates to the practice of agrology in the Province of Alberta. AIA's authority stems from the 2007 Agrology Profession Act and the associated Agrology Profession Regulations.

Mandatory registration means that if...

  • You have a diploma, applied degree or degree from a recognized post-secondary institution in agriculture or environmental science with the course content required by AIA Council; and
  • You practice agrology as defined in Section 1(v) of the Act (see * below); and,
  • You provide professional services.

...then you MUST, according to the Act, be registered and listed on the professional register with the Institute!

Mandatory registration applies to all individuals who are eligible for Registered Technologist in Agrology (RT(Ag)) or Professional Agrologist (PAg) designation. Individuals that are registered with another profession or that farm their own land and do not practice agrology outside their farm operation are exempt from registration with AIA.

AIA will enforce the mandatory registration requirements of the Agrology Profession Act as required.

Click Here for more information.

*The "practice of agrology" as defined within the Agrology Profession Act (Section 1(1v)):

"Practice of agrology means the development, acquisition or application of or advising on scientific principles and practices relating to the cultivation, production, utilization and improvement of plants and animals and the management of associated resources and includes:

  • The certification of compliance with Acts, regulations, directives, standards and guidelines related to agrology,
  • The conducting of economic, statistical, financial, sociological and other studies related to agrology,
  • The production, processing, marketing and protection of agricultural and related products and supplies,
  • The analysis, classification and evaluation of land and water systems,
  • The undertaking of agricultural design and advising on the use of buildings, structures, machinery and equipment,
  • The conservation, decommissioning, reclamation, remediation and improvement of soils, land and water systems, and
  • The development, management and use of waste treatment and ecological systems."
Q: I am still going to school but I am looking to apply to AIA ….

A:Students enrolled in post-secondary education in an agrology or environmental program can apply to the Institute free of charge. Information for student members can be accessed under the website’s Registration Menu. To visit the Student Members section, CLICK HERE

Full membership to the AIA is available after convocation; if you apply within 90 days of convocation and are accepted into the Institute, you will be refunded the application fee of $250.

Q: What is the process that I will go through to get my full professional designation?
A: Click here for a diagram of the process to achieve your full designation with the AIA. There are links to relevant information below the diagram.
Q: What is the timeline for my application to be processed?

A: Once an application is received and all required documents are received, the application file is moved into the queue for review by the Registration Committee. Two meetings, one for environment sector files, and one for agriculture sector files are held each month. The timeline to review an application is dependent on when an application is moved into the queue and the number of files the Registration Committee is able to review. Usually it is between 6 and 8 weeks, but may be longer.

Q: I am applying as a new applicant and the AIA does not have my post-secondary school's approved course list.

A: In the future, the AIA hopes to have a more comprehensive list of post-secondary institutions and their AIA approved courses. Currently, we suggest that you take a look at the current approved course lists to see what courses are placed under which categories (Introductory Agrology, Senior Agrology, Foundational Natural Science, Economics, etc). These course lists are found under the 'Registration with AIA' tab and on the 'New Applicants' page. You can also compare the course description of these approved courses (generally found on the school’s website) with descriptions of the courses that you have taken. It is a good idea to keep your syllabi and other documentation on course descriptions for your application to the AIA.

Q: I am applying as a new applicant and I cannot find a course that I have taken on an approved course list.

A: Firstly, look for comparable courses on the approved course lists and see if the course descriptions and prerequisites are similar to the class that you have taken (generally found on the school\'s website). If you can still not find a similar course, contact the AIA registration director and submit the following information for course approval consideration:

  • Institution name
  • Course name, description, and the year that the course was taken
  • Your intended areas of practice that you would like to work within.

Q: What are practice areas?

A: In Alberta, the “practice of agrology” is defined in the Agrology Profession Act Section 1(v). This definition includes a very broad, extensive list of the various activities in which our AIA members work. The Alberta Institute of Agrologists has used this definition to develop a number of Practice Areas in four categories: environment, agriculture, food, and life sciences. Professional practice within a particular Practice Area requires educational training relevant to that Practice Area. You may find the list of these PAs on our website HERE

Q: I am short of courses for my designation (ATT/AIT), or short courses for my desired practice area. Does the AIA offer extension courses that I can take to satisfy my course deficiencies?

A: Your post-secondary education is reviewed in two respects by the AIA’s Registration Committee:

  • Do you satisfy the general credit requirements for acceptance into the AIA (do you have enough agrology/math/English etc courses? (see these requirements on the ‘New Applicants’ page)
  • What practice area will your course work support?

For English/Math/Economics Course Deficiencies: satisfying these deficiencies is fairly straightforward. Find an approved course from our approved course lists or approved extension courses (info below).

For Agrology Course Deficiencies: When considering which courses to take to satisfy your agrology deficiencies, it is important to consider the desired practice area you would like to practice within and ensure that you satisfy the core knowledge requirements of that practice area through your course work as well. Take a look at the core knowledge areas of each practice area on our Practice Areas page and choose courses based on your practice area’s core knowledge requirements. Ensure that the course you would like to take is approved by the AIA by looking at the AIA’s approved course lists ( CLICK HERE ), or is an approved three credit course.

The AIA Council has approved several three-credit courses to help meet AIA entrance requirements; they can also be taken for CCP requirements and/or to supplement core knowledge areas of registered members. These courses are a condensed version of the same four month course you would take at a University. They are generally about 5 days total. Information about these courses can be accessed under the Members’ Site “Three Credit Course” option in the left-hand side menu.

To visit the AIA Approved Three Credit Courses, CLICK HERE . The topics of these condensed courses are unfortunately limited at this time. The AIA office is working to broaden the topics of the extension courses.

Q: Do Agrologists have to be paid overtime?

A: As per the Employment Standards Regulation, Alta. Reg. 14/97, Section 2(2)(m) , professional agrologists are exempt from minimum standards legislation in the Employment Standards Code dealing with hours of work and overtime entitlements. This same situation applies to quite a few designated professions (including professional engineers and lawyers).

Agrologists, like other employees, can certainly enter into individual contracts with their employers to establish working conditions, including hours of work and overtime entitlements, that they consider to be reasonable and balanced, and these contract commitments will be legally enforceable.

Q: Does the AIA have any documentation on agrologists’ salaries?

A: Although the AIA does not keep records on salaries averages, the Government of Alberta’s Occupational Profile provides an ample description of the main duties and salary averages for Alberta. For more information, CLICK HERE

Q: What is a CCP?

A: The Continuing Competence Program (CCP) Program enacts/executes/exerts/fulfills the requirements of the Agrology Profession Regulation (Section 16 , 18) to ensure, as stated on Section 43(2) of the Agrology Profession Act , “regulated members […] maintain competence and […] enhance the provision of professional services.”

Q: How do I report a CCP credit?

A: If you are accepted as a new applicant you will not have to record CCP hours for that current year; this is a rule we have made for all new applicants so they have a fair transition into their designation requirements. Upon being accepted we do encourage you to still attempt to record CCP hours within your first year so when it becomes mandatory you are very comfortable with the recording system we use for CCP hours on the website. Once it does become mandatory for you to record CCP (i.e. 2015 if you are accepted this 2014),

  • Log into the AIA website to access the member areas
  • Once you log in, you will be automatically directed to the Member Home Page.
  • Select CCP Reporting from the options showing on the left hand side (7th item from the top of the menu).

You will have to select the CCP year that you are wanting to report for from the small drop-down menu, then click on the brown ‘Go’ button.

To add a CCP activity: Click on the ‘ Add New Activity ’ button. Make sure that you check the ‘Completed’ before you save the activity so that the hours you entered are actually recorded.