Q: What is the process for moving to full designation?
A: There are certain steps to full designation:
  • Attending the AIA AGM and Annual Conference
  • Completing AIA In-Training Courses 101-104
  • Having the minimum required agrology-related work experience
  • Submitting the relevant in-training documents
  • Providing three references with professional designations
For more details on the In-Training program, please CLICK HERE.

Q:How do I change my designation from ATT to AIT or RTAg to PAg?

A: To be eligible for registration as an AIT or PAg you must have obtained a 4 year university degree in either agricultural or environmental science and have the required credits in all course categories specified by the AIA Council.

If you have a 2 year diploma or a 3 year applied degree , contact a university of your choice and ask about a post-diploma or post-applied degree transfer to a 4 year degree program. The university will instruct you on the requirements to obtain a 4 year degree based on your academic background. If you transfer to a 4 year degree program, please keep in mind that you must meet the course credit requirements for AIT registration. All of the academic courses you have taken are included in the calculations of course credits. For the course credit requirements for registration as an AIT leading to the PAg designation, CLICK HERE.

If you have a 4 year university degree but were not granted AIT registration because your degree did not meet the course credit requirements indicated above , you must complete the degree credit courses (e.g. not certificate courses or short courses) that address the deficiencies noted by the Registration Committee. Refer to the official notification letter you received from the AIA office that summarized the Registration Committee’s review of your application.

For possible courses, please see the list of approved courses HERE.

If you wish to take a course that is not on the approved list , please contact the AIA Registration Director for approval of the course prior to registering for the course. Once you have completed the course, please provide the AIA office with an official transcript showing you obtained credit for the course.

You may request a change to your designation once you have obtained credit in all courses that were deficient as noted by the Registration Committee at the time of your initial application.

Q: I am short of courses for my designation (ATT/AIT), or short courses for my desired practice area. Does the AIA offer extension courses that I can take to satisfy my course deficiencies?


A: Do you satisfy the general credit requirements for acceptance into the AIA (do you have enough agrology/math/English etc courses)? CLICK HERE for Educational Requirements.

The AIA Council has approved several three-credit courses to help meet AIA entrance requirements; they can also be taken for CCP requirements and/or to supplement core knowledge areas of registered members. These courses are a condensed version of the same four month course you would take at a university. They are generally about 5 days total.

To visit the AIA Approved Three Credit Courses, CLICK HERE . The topics of these condensed courses are unfortunately limited at this time. The AIA office is working to broaden the topics of the extension courses.

For further details on course deficiences, please CONTACT US

Q: I want to work in a practice area that is different than what the Competence Committee approved. How do I change this?

A: The Competence Committee approves practice areas based on a person’s education and the Core Knowledge Area table (find the Core Knowledge Area table under the list of Practice Areas, CLICK HERE . It is in the AIA’s mandate to protect the public in matters related to agrology and ensure its members are competent. If a person works outside of the practice areas that are most closely aligned with their education, it is a professional’s responsibility to have the education and training to support the area in which they practice. Work experience is only part of the equation for creating competence, formal education and Continuing Competence Program are required, too.

In order to achieve a new practice area, you should ensure you take formal education to meet a majority of the core knowledge areas for that Practice Area and and CCP hours in this new area. Finally, submit an official copy of your transcripts for records and request a reassessment of your Practice Areas.

For information on three-credit courses, CLICK HERE

Q: As an In-training member, can I practice without supervision or sign off on projects?

A: As an In-Training Member, you are obligated to work under the direct supervision of a regulated professional, regardless of whether your area of practice is supported or not supported by your education. You cannot sign off on projects or practice without supervision as an in-training member. You must complete all your in-training requirements and be given your full professional designation to sign off on documents and practice unsupervised. To achieve your full designation the Competence Committee reviews applicants’ files individually based on an In-Training member’s education, references and experience shown on the resume. The committee then communicates their decision, which may include a cautionary note related to the current situation. Practice in areas outside of one’s practice area(s) is at one’s own professional risk.

Q: What is CCP?

A: The Continuing Competence Program (CCP) Program enacts/executes/exerts/fulfills the requirements of the Agrology Profession Regulation (Section 16 , 18) to ensure, as stated on Section 43(2) of the Agrology Profession Act , “regulated members […] maintain competence and […] enhance the provision of professional services.”

Q: Do Agrologists have to be paid overtime?

A: As per the Employment Standards Regulation, Alta. Reg. 14/97, Section 2(2)(m) , professional agrologists are exempt from minimum standards legislation in the Employment Standards Code dealing with hours of work and overtime entitlements. This same situation applies to quite a few designated professions (including professional engineers and lawyers).

Agrologists, like other employees, can certainly enter into individual contracts with their employers to establish working conditions, including hours of work and overtime entitlements, that they consider to be reasonable and balanced, and these contract commitments will be legally enforceable.

Q: Does the AIA have any documentation on agrologists’ salaries ?

A: Although the AIA does not keep records on salaries averages, the Government of Alberta's Occupational Profile provides an ample description of the main duties and salary averages for Alberta. For more information, click  here . A recent salary survey of Agrologists (2015) across Canada including AIA members can found here .